Monday, August 11, 2014

A loss of a TRUE San Franciscan

The news of Robin Williams death has sent shock waves throughout the world. As soon as a friend of mine Tweeted at me the breaking news it was numbing. I had to Google right away to make sure it wasn't a hoax. I knew that Mr. Williams had recently been seeking professional help for substance abuse problems but never knew about the deep seeded demons. As I drove my car this afternoon to run an errand I tuned into the AM news channels to see what they were saying about his death. It was much of the same but with a palpable sadness. The sports reporter came on a bit verklempt talking about how he was seeing a lot of pictures flood in of Mr. Williams attending San Francisco Giants games, 49er games and baseball games across the country. I realized hearing his tone followed by a local comedian's live interview about Robin Williams that San Francisco as well as the Bay Area lost one of their own.

I could hardly contain my tears, sadness, broken heart or the bare feelings of utter loss. I had no direct connection with Robin William except the time I was an extra in a lesser known film that he starred in during the late 90's. When I met him he definitely lived up to the hairiness you often heard about but he was also one of the kindest talent I have ever come across. After a lunch break on the film Mr. Williams stood there shaking the hand of every extra that had been hired that day to fill a small outdoor auditorium in the Marin headlands. What a class act.

After remembering that interaction this afternoon I came to realize that Robin Williams was Mr. San Francisco. In a time where San Francisco is steadily losing it's identity we had Robin Williams. A guy who moved out here with his family early in life and stuck it out here. He loved the Giants, he walked around San Francisco like no big thing, he supported local non-profits and he never left. I think that is the biggest loss for us that are native to not only San Francisco but to the Bay Area. His death is a reminder that the good in San Francisco is disappearing. San Francisco's rich history is slowly but steadily moving away from itself. Old establishments are getting uprooted to other parts of the city or decimated completely. Cultural icons such as the famous twins of the city are passing away one by one or your favorite restaurant has shut its doors forever. The things that have made San Francisco special are fading away including an international star who never turned his back on his city.

Today will be a day I'll never forget. Robin Williams was one of the good guys. His dedication to the craft of comedy, improv and acting will forever be studied and imitated. He brought Hollywood to San Francisco and San Francisco to Hollywood.  He never seemed to get too big for his britches and lived with a sincere soul. Mr. Williams will forever be a true City kid. He may have been born in the Midwest but he certainly left his heart in San Francisco and we will never forget his kindness or love for the city by the bay. May you rest in peace Mr. Robin McLaurin Williams.


No comments:

Post a Comment